WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL
When you call the helpline your call will be answered by one of our specially trained female volunteers. They are there to listen and support you to talk about whatever is on your mind.
We are here to listen to you and believe you 100%. We will never judge or question you.
We know it can be very hard to take that first step and call; we respect this and will never push you to talking about anything you do not want to.
We are here to help you explore your thoughts, feelings and what options you might have. We can give you information about those options, but we will never tell you what you should do. We will support you to decide for yourself, what is right for you as an individual.
The call will be charged at your usual landline rate, if you have insufficient funds to talk we can call you back.
WHO CAN CALL?
- Women aged 13 or over who have experienced rape, childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault or female genital mutilation, recently or in the past - no matter how long ago it happened
- Young men aged 13-25 who have experienced rape, childhood sexual abuse or sexual assault, recently or in the past - no matter how long ago it happened
- Partners, family and friends of people who have been raped or sexually abused or assaulted
If you are a male survivor aged over 25, please call and we can let you know of appropriate services locally and nationally.
WHAT IF THE HELPLINE IS SHUT WHEN I CALL?
If you call outside the helpline hours you will hear a message explaining when the helpline is next open.
We have a 24 hour answer machine and you can leave your details if you wish to be called back when the helpline is next open. Please only leave a number if it is safe to do so. If we are unable to get hold of you at the next helpline session we will delete your details and you will then have to call back.
If you need to speak to someone when Devon Rape Crisis helpline is shut you can call:
Rape Crisis (England and Wales) Helpline: 0808 802 9999
Opening hours: 12 - 2.30pm and 7pm - 9.30pm (every day)
The Rape and Sexual Abuse Helpline (Devon): 0808 800 0188
Opening hours: Tues, Wed, Thurs 7pm-10pm
Devon Rape Crisis is a confidential service.
We do not ask you for any personal details and you do not have to give us your real name.
We don't trace calls and your number will not show up, so unless you give us identifying information (such as your full name or address) you will remain anonymous.
We will not share what you have said to us with anyone outside Devon Rape Crisis Service.
We will only make a note of basic information if you request us to, this may be helpful for you if you call again, speak to a different volunteer and don't want to repeat what you have previously said.
We will only break confidentiality if:
- you request us to
- if you've given us identifying information, and you're a vulnerable adult, and we're concerned for your safety
- if you are a child at risk, or you are giving us identifying information about a child at risk. We will discuss this with you first and we will remind you, before you give us identifying information, of our duty under Child Protection and Vulnerable Adult Legislation
Please note: Our number is not hidden and therefore will be displayed on your bill as usual.